Naturally, and it should go without saying - but we will still say so, it is extremely important in the interests of safety for all concerned, that care must be taken when installing, or connecting any electrical appliance or accessory.
If you are unsure then for goodness sake call in your local Electrician to do the job for you .. and again remember that Safety is a total priority.
Think about your family and other people who may have access to the equipment in your absence - probably following your own instructions - so please act responsibly where electricity and water are concerned.
Water and Electricity
Water and electricity do not mix. Follow these simple tips to ensure the safe use of any electrical appliances near water for the safety of you and your family, and perhaps even your other pets:
• Never use any electrical appliance near water unless the appliances are specifically designed to do so
• Never touch anything electrical with wet hands or bare feet
• Never leave an electrical appliance where it can fall into your pond or filter system
• Never leave an electrical appliance unattended around children
• Switch off and unplug all portable electric appliances after use
• Do not use portable heaters in your filter room/filter area – if you feel heating is necessary in these areas then use a strip heater installed high on the wall or a ceiling unit installed by a registered electrical contractor
• Use extreme care when using electrical appliances around ponds or swimming pools
• If an electrical appliance has been immersed in water accidentally then it must be disposed of immediately
• Do not use extension leads or power leads in wet areas - unless they are specifically designed for that purpose
• It is safe practice to wear rubber or plastic soled shoes when using electrical appliances in your pond area whilst doing any maintenance that involves using electricity, on concrete floors or out of doors - many victims of serious and fatal electrical accidents are barefooted.
Winter can be very long and harsh for our Koi, an increasing number of Koi keepers are heating and using appropriate covering for their ponds for the following reasons:
• Very low temperatures are avoided - causing less stress and associated health problems - Temperature fluctuations are avoided once again causing less stress to your Koi.
• Koi emerge from the long winter into spring considerably stronger this in turn helps in reducing mortality rates at this time of year when they most often occur.
• Your Koi's immune system is not suppressed. A Koi's immune system in an unheated pond does not start to recover until the water temperature raises to 10c or above – the nasty bacteria start to recover at around 8c – this can leave your fish vulnerable for possibly several weeks. Unfortunately there are very few medications that will work efficiently in low temperatures so this can be a dangerous time for an unheated pond.
• Biological filter systems also remain active throughout the winter months avoiding the long start up process in the spring of building up the beneficial bacteria once again.
• Last but not least heating your pond allows the Koi keeper to enjoy their hobby throughout the long winter months.
We have a comprehensive selection of heaters and electrical connectors to meet your needs.
Click on a link below for the section you need.